Inspired by colliding patterns, splits and fractures in nature, this collection yields a truly visual collision of pattern and color. Taking cues from The Radical persona in our 2012 ColorEvolution forecast, the collection exemplifies the unexpected beauty that results from materials and how they are transformed by colliding circumstance.
“Again, we find ourselves looking to nature and how it can impact design. Here, destructive forces were an inspiration, but just as it is metaphorically and geographically, when materials undergo a destructive process, the result is often beautiful and inspiring, ” said Reesie Duncan, Creative Director for Shaw Contract Group. “The products in this collection feature varying degrees of movement as well as cool and warm elements which work beautifully together or independently.”
Learn more about Collide on our website and 2013 NeoCon magazine.
Experience a seismic shift as the Shaw Contract Group design team guides designers and architects through a cultural evolution in full spectrum. Be inspired; watch COLOREVOLUTION online and earn free IDCEC and AIA continuing education (CEU) credit. In this color and trend forecast, the Shaw Contract Group design team unveils current environmental, social and economic shifts; explains how these factors drive color; and shares tips on incorporating these trends in commercial interiors today.
“COLOREVOLUTION is the combination of months of research into social, economic and environmental shifts in design,” said Reesie Duncan, Shaw Contract Group Creative Director. “We live in a world emblazoned by change; COLOREVOLUTION captures this change in a unique way by showing inspiring imaginary paired with intriguing color combinations.”
COLOREVOLUTION explores the story of progression into a new future through color expressed by six personas, each conflicted with two contradictory qualities to create a new world of possibilities. Innovation and progress is found in the middle. The personas are:
- The Radical: finds beauty in the decay, destruction and the flawed. A rally call for positive change.
- The Visionary: light-infused, ethereal, pure of intentions and design. A clear perspective brings attraction to materials and objects, evoking honesty and purity.
- The Nomad: grounded and reconnected with nature. Develop a more serious interest in the overall health and well being of us, our planet and future generations.
- The Futurist: subtle tones become a spectrum of statement hues. Surfaces shine with iridescent effects and mercury-like treatments.
- The Resident: essential and straight-forward design become valued above all. Utilitarian shades add a pop of color or make a monochromatic statement.
- The Globeseeker: drawn from a variety of cultures. Bright, neon-inspired colors oscillate in a pop explosion of artistic expression.
Watching the video online and completing the follow-up quiz qualifies for the following distance learning credits: 1 AIA Learning Unit and/or .1 IDCEC CEU credit for IIDA, ASID and IDC. To receive credit, watch the video, enter your contact information in a provided online form and take a brief quiz on the video. After passing the quiz, your information is sent to the appropriate accrediting agency.
Also, you can emblazon your Pinterest with our COLOREVOLUTION Pinterest contest. Create a board based on your favorite persona and each month our Design Team will select a winner.
Color confirmation from our 2012 ColorEvolution!
Now that Fall 2012 fashion weeks are coming to a close, we are starting to see confirmation that our ColorEvolution forecast is right on trend. One of the most prominent emerging colors from New York Fashion Week was Oxblood. This deep red hue from our Radical palette was seen in collections from designers such as Richard Chai and Derek Lam. This article from New York Magazine’s The Cut talks more about the emerging new color trend.
Organic by John Patrick, Steven Alan, Richard Chai LOVE
Derek Lam Fall 2012
To learn more about The Radical and other color pallets from our ColorEvolution, visit our website.